Gold does not tarnish and oxidize quickly. However, it can lose its sparkle and luster from exposure to grime and dirt. Dirt that builds up on gold will make the jewelry look dull and old, so you need to clean it. How do you clean gold?
Fortunately, there are many DIY homemade remedies to clean your gold – one of which is through baking soda. Baking soda can make your gold pieces sparkle like new once again. This ingredient is non-toxic, inexpensive, and dissolves dirt quickly.
With gold being one of the best investments, it is only vital to keep it clean. This way, you can ensure that it is beautiful, valuable, and timeless. Here are the many ways baking soda can clean gold.
Why Use Baking Soda to Clean Gold?
Baking soda is a gentle cleanser that is effective in cleaning gold. Making a baking soda paste to clean gold produces a chemical reaction that can break down tarnish. This cleaning solution is an alkali that can remove dirt and easily dissolve it in water. It is also a gentle abrasive and won’t leave any scratches on the gold.
How Does Baking Soda Clean Gold?
Baking soda is a mild ingredient but can clean gold pieces effectively. However, if your gold jewelry has pearls or gemstones attached to it, consult the seller or producer before cleaning it. Follow these steps to clean your gold with baking soda:
Things you’ll need:
- Baking Soda
- 2 cups of Boiling Water
- Bowl or Baking Pan
- Aluminum foil
- Put the aluminum foil in the bowl or baking pan. Make sure that the shiny surface of the aluminum foil is facing upward. Set the gold on top of the aluminum foil.
- Completely cover the gold with baking soda.
- Pour boiling water all over the gold covered with baking soda. Let the gold pieces steep in the boiling water for about 5 minutes.
- Now pour cold water into the bowl or baking pan. Make sure there is no baking soda residue left.
- Dry the gold pieces thoroughly before storing them.
Can Baking Soda and Salt Clean Gold?
Another inexpensive method to clean gold is with baking soda and salt. This method requires aluminum foil so that the baking soda and salt mixture becomes a more effective cleaning tool. This method creates ion transfers, a chemical exchange that helps remove dirt on the metal.
Things you’ll need:
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda
- Aluminum Foil
- Clean, dry cloth
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 cup of warm water
- Cover the inside of the bowl with aluminum foil, then set the gold in the bowl. After that, put salt and baking soda on top of the gold in the bowl.
- Pour warm water into the bowl and soak the gold jewelry for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the gold pieces and wipe them with a soft cloth to eliminate excess tarnish or debris.
- Rinse the gold pieces with warm, clean water. Dry the gold items with a clean and soft cloth.
Can Baking Soda and Vinegar Clean Gold?
Baking soda and vinegar are a potent mixture. They can be used to clean almost anything, from bathroom floors to dishes to gold jewelry. Most importantly, these ingredients are cheap, natural, and easy to use.
Follow these steps to clean your gold pieces of jewelry even better:
Things you’ll need:
- 3 teaspoons of Baking soda
- 2 Plastic containers
- Dishwashing sponge or cotton wool
- Towel or soft cloth
- Pour a small amount of baking soda into one of the plastic containers. Also, pour a small amount of water equal to one part of the baking soda into the container. Mix the two ingredients thoroughly to create a paste. You can increase the amount of baking soda and water depending on the number of gold pieces you will clean.
- Put the paste on the jewelry with a sponge or cotton ball. Make sure that the gold piece is well-covered by paste.
- Then pour the vinegar into the container. The gold pieces must soak in the vinegar and baking soda paste mixture. Leave the container for around 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, take the gold pieces out of the container. Rinse the gold with warm water. Make sure that there is no baking soda residue left.
- Wipe the gold pieces with a towel or soft cloth. Do this step thoroughly to ensure you won’t store wet gold pieces.
- Inspect whether the dirt is removed. If you’re not satisfied with the result, repeat this procedure.
Can Baking Soda and Dishwashing Soap Clean Gold?
If you’re afraid that the embellishments in your gold will be damaged, try this method. Baking soda and dishwashing soap combined to create a milder cleaning agent. This mixture is perfect for delicate pieces.
Follow these steps to clean your gold jewelry with gemstones, pearls, and other embellishments.
Things you’ll need:
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of liquid dishwashing soap
- 1 cup of water
- Soft-bristled toothbrush
- Clean cloth
- Mix water, baking soda, and dishwashing soap in a bowl. If you feel like the mixture won’t be enough for your gold pieces, double the amount of this dishwashing soap.
- Place your gold jewelry in the bowl with water, baking soda, and dishwashing soap. Make sure that the jewelry is submerged well for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, scrub your gold pieces using a soft-bristled toothbrush or clean cloth. You can use your fingers if the jewelry is not too dirty.
- Once the gold pieces are clean, rinse them under warm and clean water removing the soap and dishwashing soap.
- Dry the pieces with a clean cloth and allow them to air dry for around 30 minutes before storing them.
How to Properly Care For Your Gold Jewelry?
Here are some tips to properly maintain your gold jewelry. Follow these tricks to avoid having to clean your gold pieces in the future.
Don’t Wear it While Doing Household Chores or Working Out.
Heat or sweat will make the gold items old and dull. If you don’t want to clean your gold more often, don’t wear them in the kitchen or gym.
Separate Different Gold Jewelry Types
Storing all your gold items in one box may damage other gold pieces. If one has baubles or sharp edges, it may scratch or deface other jewelry items. Hence, it’s crucial to have separate storage for simple and unique gold jewelry.
Use Airtight Boxes as Storage
Use airtight boxes made from cloth material. This type of storage will maintain the polish better. If you don’t have anything like this, wrap the jewelry pieces with a cloth before storing them.
How to Prevent Gold Pieces From Tarnishing?
If you wish to keep your gold items beautiful, you must prevent them from tarnishing. Here are preventive measures that you can follow to take care of your precious possessions.
Make sure that your gold items are stored away from direct sunlight. You can keep them in a velvet bag to keep the gold safe from sunlight and moisture.
To protect your gold pieces from harmful elements, use protectant spray. However, be careful in choosing a protectant spray. Some products are detrimental to the skin and cause irritations and rashes once you wear your gold items.
Keep the Gold Items Dry
Moisture from sweat, water, and other liquids can cause your gold items to tarnish. Hence, dry your gold jewelry after you wear or clean them. Never store them wet.
Other Ways to Clean Gold Pieces Other Than Baking Soda
Indeed, baking soda can clean gold. But if you wish to explore other household cleaning methods to renew your gold items, follow these tips.
Ammonia is a colorless industrial product composed of hydrogen and nitrogen. It is a chemical with a distinct odor that may cause your skin to irritate.
However, when used correctly, it can be one of the best products to make your dirty gold pieces look brand new. Make sure to use gloves in restoring your tarnished gold fragments with it.
Dish soap alone can remove dirt from your gold chain. However, it may not be helpful for heavy oxidation. Thus, you can only use this household item to remove dirt on your gold pieces.
If you don’t want to try other methods, buying and using a commercial cleaner is the best option. There are a lot of jewelry cleaners out there that can do the work. All you need to do is to find a non-toxic product that will not irritate your skin.
Now you know how you make use of baking soda to clean gold. Indeed, there’s no need to freak out seeing dirty or tarnished gold items in your jewelry box. After all, there are many household hacks that help you solve a problem like this.
So what are you waiting for? Follow any tips above and keep your gold pieces clean, well-polished, and beautiful.
If you’re interested in learning what else baking soda cleans in your home, check out our post – Does Baking Soda Clean Mattresses?