Haven’t cleaned your Keurig for quite a while? It’s time. As much as it’s crucial to polish hardwood floors or clean your laundry vents, keeping your small appliances maintained is also essential. You may have heard of using vinegar to clean your coffee maker but can apple cider vinegar clean your Keurig?
Yes, you can use apple cider vinegar to clean your Keurig. Apple cider vinegar is a powerful cleaning tool that is a popular alternative to conventional chemical cleaning agents. This ingredient is an all-purpose natural cleaner and not only beneficial for your health.
So how can apple cider vinegar clean your Keurig? This article will guide you in keeping your Keurig fresh and free from dirt, coffee grounds, and other mineral deposits while using ACV.
Why Should I Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Clean My Keurig?
All kinds of vinegar share one crucial ingredient in common, acetic acid. This ingredient provides the distinct scent you smell when you use it.
Like other kinds of vinegar, apple cider vinegar can eliminate dirt, grease, mineral build-up, fats, and other kitchen messes. Hence, it helps keep the house and kitchen items clean.
Benefits of Using Apple Cider Vinegar to Clean Your Keurig
Are you not convinced enough about the usefulness of cleaning your Keurig with apple cider vinegar? Here are the fantastic benefits of using apple cider vinegar to clean your Keurig.
- It’s a non-toxic solution: The ingredient is a natural cleaner. Thus, it is safe to use at home.
- It’s a natural disinfectant: Generally, vinegar can kill about 90% of germs and bacteria on surfaces. Most importantly, it becomes more effective as a disinfectant when combined with another household staple like baking soda. Take note, though, that no scientific evidence shows that it can kill the COVID-19 virus.
- It is cost-efficient: Apple cider vinegar is cheaper than the harsh chemical-based detergents you can use to clean your coffee maker. It is also easily accessible since most people store it in their pantry.
- It’s versatile: This solution is not only used for cleaning. You can use it for cooking and other natural health remedies. You will only need a little of this solution to clean your coffee maker. The remaining ones can be used to clean other kitchen items.
How Often Should You Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Clean Your Keurig?
Most people pay attention when making their coffee but often neglect to keep their coffee machine clean and in good condition. It’s recommendable to clean your Keurig at least once a month to keep it in good shape. In this way, rest assured that you can use your coffee maker for its longest life span.
Take note of the points below when cleaning your Keurig with apple cider vinegar:
- If you haven’t cleaned your Keurig for a long time, use more apple cider vinegar than usual to clean it.
- Anyone using hard water on their Keurig may find that apple cider vinegar is not helpful enough to descale it.
- Apple cider vinegar is more expensive than regular white vinegar. If you think you don’t need to descale the machine, you can use white vinegar to save money.
Why Should You Clean Your Keurig?
Don’t hesitate to clean your Keurig because doing so won’t damage the machine unless you’re an aggressive cleaner. A dirty Keurig is prone to bacteria; hence, the need to clean it as often as possible.
Water, coffee grounds, and the heat from the machine are breeding grounds for mold and germs. This will make your coffee sour, unhealthy, and unhygienic. Keeping your Keurig clean is as important as making the whole kitchen neat. It is not only important maintaining the quality of the coffee machine but also for your health.
Apple cider vinegar will remove grounds, built-up oils, and muck. This will ensure that the machine is in good condition and will make your coffee tastes better.
How to Clean Your Keurig with Apple Cider Vinegar
Having a Keurig means you no longer worry about ground coffee beans and wrangling filters whenever you’re longing for coffee. But this machine can get dirty, so you must clean it often.
Follow these steps to properly clean your Keurig with apple cider vinegar.
Things you’ll need:
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Hot soapy water
- Dry dish towel
- Damp dish towel
- Remove all the content in your Keurig and rinse it with water. Make sure to discard the coffee ground and empty the coffee filter.
- Mix an equal mixture of apple cider vinegar and water. Fill half of the carafe with apple cider vinegar and water.
- Start a half brew cycle, then stop the machine midway. Let the mixture sit for at least an hour to soften any stain or calcified content in your Keurig.
- After an hour, turn on the Keurig again to complete the brewing process.
- Remove the vinegar and water mixture.
- Now, run a water cycle. Fill your Keurig with water and start a complete cycle. Let the water cool for a few minutes, then run it again. Removing the vinegar smell altogether may take around 2 to 3 cycles.
- Wash the carafe and filter with hot soapy water. This way, the stains on the surfaces will be cleaned easily.
- Reassemble your Keurig by putting all the parts together that you removed earlier. You can now start brewing a tasty coffee once again.
Are Dedicated Commercial Cleaners for Your Keurig Better than Apple Cider Vinegar?
Some may work quicker in removing crud from your Keurig but knowing exactly what is in these cleaners can be difficult. Therefore I prefer using something I know is natural and non-toxic like apple cider vinegar to clean my Keurig.
What Are Some Other Household Staples That Can Clean Your Keurig?
If apple cider vinegar is not accessible, don’t fret. There are a lot of household ingredients that can help you clean your Keurig. Most of them are just waiting to be noticed in your pantry.
You can use baking soda to clean your Keurig, too. Just follow the steps above for cleaning your Keurig with apple cider vinegar. You must replace the vinegar with baking soda in the recipe and instructions.
Many coffee maker owners use denture tablets to clean their coffee machines. Denture tablets eliminate calcified content and freshen up the coffee machine. To do this, follow these steps.
Things you’ll need:
- Denture Tablets
- Fill up your Keurig with water and dissolve 1 or 2 denture tablets.
- Pour the dissolved denture tablets into the water chamber, then run a complete brewing cycle. Afterward, remove the used water.
- Add water to the machine, then run a complete brewing cycle to eliminate the smell or remaining solution.
Vinegar and Salt
Vinegar and salt together are good natural antibacterial agents. You can use these powerful ingredients to clean your Keurig. Just follow the steps for cleaning your Keurig with apple cider vinegar but don’t forget to add salt to the vinegar and water mixture.
By adding salt to the solution, you can disinfect the machine and remove mildew and mold that had grown in the chamber and filter.
How to Keep a Keurig Clean and in Good Shape?
If you keep your Keurig clean, expect it to last long and maintain its quality. Here are helpful reminders to keep your machine in tiptop shape:
Always Wash your Keurig After Use
Take away all removable parts and wash them. It’s also crucial to remove all coffee growns after you brew coffee. Don’t leave it for hours as it may damage the filter, or mold can start to breed.
Remove Mineral Build-Up
Mineral or calcium build-up will affect the speed of the coffee drip. It can also make your brewed coffee sour. Make sure to remove these build-ups at least once a month.
Clean the Carafe Shrine
Wash the carafe shrine after every use. Make sure that it is bright as possible. Use hot water, a little rice, and detergent to clean it.
There you go. You have just learned to clean your Keurig. By following the steps above, rest assured that your Keurig is no longer dirty, and you can continue making pots of delicious coffee to savor all day long.
If you’re interested in learning what else apple cider vinegar can clean in your home, check out our post – Can Apple Cider Vinegar Be Used for Cleaning?Tags: all natural cleaning, apple cider vinegar, green cleaning, household, natural cleaning